- 1/2 loaf (16-ounce) French bread
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1. Cut bread into 3/4-inch thick slices. Place slices in a single layer in a lightly greased 13-x-9-inch baking dish.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla; pour mixture over bread. Cover and chill until all liquid is absorbed by the bread, up to 8 hours.
3. Remove bread from dish. Wipe dish clean, and coat with vegetable cooking spray.
4. Cook brown sugar, butter and syrup in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until mixture is smooth. Pour into baking dish. Top with apple; arrange bread over apple.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Loosen with a knife, invert onto a serving platter.
Yield: 8 servings.
I have put together the bread/egg/milk part the night before, and also the morning of baking this wonderful French toast. It takes about 2-3 hours for the bread to absorb all the liquid.